German Shepherd: Breed Facts & Info
German Shepherd is a popular dog breed in America followed by French Bulldog. There are an estimated 931,000 German Shepherds in American households as pets. German Shepherd has been in America’s top 10 most popular dog breeds for over 50 years.
The German shepherd was originated in Germany in the late 19th century and became popular quickly. Then it was soon exported to other countries around the world. In 1907, Americans were introduced to this breed. The German shepherd was used as a messenger and ambulance dog in World War & ll. In the 1950s-60s it was used as a police dog and gained popularity in America.
Details about German Shepherds:
Medium to large dog breed.
Weight: Males -(65 to 90 pounds) and Females- (50 to 70 pounds)
Height: 22 to 26 inches
Coat: Short, dense undercoat and a Longer, coarser outer coat.
Color: Distinctive Black and Tan, White, Sable, and Liver
Lifespan: 10 to 13 years.
German Sheppard puppy Price: $1500 to $5000
Temperament: Intelligent, loyal, and protective dogs. They are also popular for their train-ability and ability to perform various tasks.
Training: Highly intelligent dogs and can be easily trained. However, the owners should be patient and consistent when the dog is stubborn.
Grooming: Require regular grooming and exercise. They should be brushed and bathed when needed. They also need a lot of exercise, at least 30 minutes of vigorous exercise each day.
Top 5 states with estimated no. of German Shepherds in America :
New York- 92600
This number shows that German Shepherds are more popular in the eastern and southern parts of America.
German Shepherd Food:
Safe food items:
Lean protein: Good sources of lean protein for German Shepherds include chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, and fish.
Whole grains: Brown rice, quinoa, and oats are good sources of fiber and other nutrients.
Vegetables: Carrots, Broccoli, and Green beans are good sources of Vitamins, Minerals, and Antioxidants.
Fruits: Fruits such as Apples, Bananas, and Berries are a good source of vitamins and minerals.
Besides these foods, High-quality kibble, Dry dog food, Wet food, Home cooked food, and Treats are also good for German Shepherds.
Some Avoidable food items:
Chocolate, Grapes and raisins, Macadamia nuts, Onions and Garlic, Xylitol, Cooked bones, Raw meat, Salt.
Average annual spending on German Shepherd:
Average annual spending is around $2500 to $4000 of which-
Food Cost: $1200
Vet Care: $1000
Grooming & Training Cost: $500
Other Expenses: $500
Interesting facts about German Shepherd:
• The German Shepherd is the official dog of Germany, Switzerland, and Hungary.
• Popular German Shepherds featured in movies and television shows are – ”Rin Tin Tin”, “Lassie”, and “The Dog Whisperer”
• They are known for their intelligence, loyalty, trainability, and protective nature.
• Can jump up to 6 feet high and can run up to 30 miles per hour.
• The tallest German Shepherd on record was a male named Giant George, who stood 28.7 inches tall at the shoulder
• The heaviest German Shepherd on record was a female named Atila, who weighed 175 pounds.
Pros and Cons of German Shepherd:
• Intelligent and trainable
• Loyal and protective
• Thrive on activity and exercise
• Can be used for a variety of tasks, such as search and rescue, police work, and therapy
• High energy and need plenty of exercise
• Can be destructive sometimes
• Shedding is heavy
• Can be wary of strangers
• Prone to certain health problems like – hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, etc.
• Maintenance cost high
The best thing about German Shepherds is their loyalty and their protective nature, but they require a certain level of commitment. Overall, German Shepherds are wonderful dogs with a lot to offer. One who is prepared to provide them with the care they need will make a loyal and loving companion for many years to come.
Please Visit Happy Hungry Pets for more Content On Pets
The next discussion is about another popular Dog Poodles